I have come in order that you might have life, and life in abundance John 10:10
Our Mission Statement: St Dunstan’s is an Anglican community committed to:
- Honouring Christ
- Growing Faith
- Sharing Life
- Living Hope
Our Vision: Our vision at St Dunstan’s is to be a faithful, vibrant, inclusive and loving community, committed to worship, prayer, Bible study and to growing in our faith. The focus of our mission for 2019 to 2023 is to express Christ’s love to everyone with whom we come in contact, and encourage them in their Christian journey.
This vision supports the vision of the Diocese of Melbourne to ‘Make the Word of God Fully Known’.
The Theological Foundations for our Mission Action Plan :
- The Two Great Commandments from Matthew 22: 37-39 – “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul and all your strength; and love your neighbour as yourself.”
- The Great Commission in Matthew 28: 19-20 – “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you.”
- Jesus’ promise to us in John 10:10 – “I have come in order that you might have life, and life in abundance.
Our Mission Action Plan focuses on the following
- Pastoral Care
- Enabling Elements
As a Parish we have a passion for well-conducted liturgical services, prayerful respect and practical care for each other and the community, the encouragement of creativity, all as a continuing Anglican parish in the Diocese of Melbourne.
We continually seek to develop our spirituality, both as individuals and as a church, and to be focussed on mission activity outside the parish. We value diversity in our parish.
We recognise that some will have other passions.
STRATEGIC FOCUS – Discipleship – a way of life that seeks to follow Jesus; to live in ways that are aligned with his values
Objective 1: Ensure a prayerful environment
- Offering prayer ministry, utilising a prayer list, showing the value of prayer.
- Ensuring that prayer is normalised, modelled and expected at parish events and meetings.
- Utilising Abundance, social and other media for prayer focus and reflection.
Objective 2: Helping individuals develop and grow in their personal spiritual life
- Offering discussion, study and meditation groups
- Conducting Parish Quiet Days
- Joint programs with other churches; sharing worship, music, discussions
Objective 3: Assist the faith journey for people in the wider community
- Open church
- mainly music and related events
- Providing opportunities for men in the parish to gather together for fellowship
- Community events on neutral territory
- Investigating inclusion of multicultural resources on the website and other social media
- Exploring ministry opportunities for singles and single parents
STRATEGIC FOCUS – Pastoral Care – as God cares for us and protects us, we, in turn, are to care for and protect others.
Objective 4: Undertaking Pastoral Care within St Dunstan’s and in the wider community by the Pastoral Care Team, Clergy and volunteers.
- Pastoral Care within the established church community
- Pastoral Care with elderly people generally and in Aged Care Residences
- Outreach to the Wider Community
- Ministry with Children and Families
Objective 5: Strengthen parish awareness of, and involvement in, Social Justice issues.
- Undertaking Advocacy, Ministry and Pastoral Care for Refugees
- A regular service with social justice focus, possibly ecumenical
- Social media opportunities augmenting the web site and Facebook group
- Mission with direct action with refugees and other disadvantaged people eg, Camcare and Hope for Boroondara
- Support for the diocesan Social Responsibilities Committee (SRC) issues.
- Support Anglican Mothers Union Australia group in its work with the empowerment of women and families locally and globally
STRATEGIC FOCUS – Hospitality – central to Christ’s mission and ministry, providing a safe “space” where people are invited to draw closer to God.
Objective 6: Connecting with each other, with guests and others
- A program of Planned Activities offering events to invite people into the church community
- A Welcome ‘Awareness’ program’
- Marketing strategies to advertise services, events and groups
- Intentional activities with Kindergarten families
- Encouraging hospitality within the congregation.
STRATEGIC FOCUS – Enablers – Undertaking activities that support our daily parish life and the strategic elements of Discipleship, Pastoral Care and Hospitality
Objective 7: Encourage good stewardship of people’s time, talents and treasure
- Following a financial strategy to fund current and a future expanded ministry team.
- Modelling proportional giving by increasing our parish allocation of free will offerings (open plate, envelope and direct debit) to mission work external to the parish.
- Encouraging giving that is generous, Biblically founded and regular and which is based on the ‘abundance’ of God’s generosity to us.
- Achieving planned budgets annually
- Effective use of the Building Restoration Fund for improvement of facilities.
- Succession planning for church officers
- Maintaining a watching brief on amalgamation and resource sharing possibilities in the local area.
Objective 8: Maintain, develop and improve utilisation of facilities
- Undertaking property maintenance as required and planning programmed development in the context of opportunities offered through the Building Restoration Fund
- Exploring use of facilities by third parties for benefit of the wider communities, ie: Refugees/interest groups
- Awareness of future viability of the kindergarten
STRATEGIC FOCUS – Governance
Parish Council will be accountable to the Parish for delivering the initiatives of the Mission Action Plan
Sub-committees and coordinators will be appointed by Parish Council who will then endorse annual plans and review progress on a quarterly basis
Sub Committees/Working Groups will be appointed as follows
- Pastoral and Aged Care Team
- Growth in Faith team
- Social Justice Team or Co-ordinator
- Children and Families Team
- Administration, Finance, Property and Risk Management Team
- Marketing and Communications Team
- Social and Fundraising Team
- Welcoming Working Group
Teams and Co-ordinators will establish aims and objectives for their group, and these will be approved by Parish Council.
NOTE. Pending the establishment of the envisaged teams, where a team is yet to be established, Parish Council will convene itself as the relevant team.
STRATEGIC FOCUS – Strategy
Parish Council will be accountable for reviewing and updating the Mission Action Plan from time to time, at least annually, taking into account progress against plans of Teams and Co-ordinators, parishioner involvement in services and activities, finances, diocesan and other external matters.